Wednesday, January 10, 2018

After Thirty Years, Bron Yakov Shoe Repair Closes Its Doors On DeGraw Street

oo
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Cobbler Yakov Bron
(photo credit: Alex B. via Yelp)

Several Carroll Gardeners have reached out to us in the past few days to say that Bron Yakov Shoe Repair at 298 DeGraw Street is closing its doors.  Though the business only occupies a tiny little hole in the wall at the corner of Court Street since 1987, it will be missed by many.
PMFA reader Mary-Jean has been going to Yakov for the past twenty years and calls him "one of the last 'real deals' in the area."
Another reader, Kassie wrote of that the Odessa-born shopkeeper is "not the most talkative man in our ‘hood but he alway got the job done. I’ll be sorry to see him go."
According to reader Fred,  Made 4 Me, which sells special occasion dresses, will also be closing. "The woman in the dress shop next door who owns the building said he was in this location for 20 years. She’s been in business for 48 years and she’s closing later this year."
We hear that the shoe repair shop is now only open so that people can pick up their shoes. It was, however, closed closed yesterday at 11:45, when I walked by to take the photos above.

Michael's Shoe and Watch repair store on Smith Street between President and Union Streets is still
in business, though it did almost close in 2012 due to a rent increase.
Let us make sure to support Michael's before we lose the last cobbler in the neighborhood.

Untitled
Untitled

12 comments:

Trumbull Bully said...

Bully here...

Isn't there another shoe repair on Smith further down toward Atlantic (west side of Smith)?

Katia said...

Oh, right. I think it belongs to Michael's son.

Unknown said...

Just had a repair done last week and picked up on saturday. Absolutely perfect job. He mentioned to me something about his eyesight not being what it used to be -- perhaps it's just time to quit while you're ahead, and hopefully not another rent hike situation.

l'aquila said...

He’s a crusty old man but he was a great cobbler

Anonymous said...

He told me he needed eye surgery.

Anonymous said...

I've been going here for 20 years. Always timely, always a great job and reasonable. Sorry to see him close up shop.

Anonymous said...

He was a master of his craft. I was in awe of his abilities. Could make you a pair of boots, he said. Prices were very low also. I used to go here when I lived in Carroll Gardens years ago.

Deirdre said...

Michael's is so great, he fixed my sandals in like 10 minutes last time I went there. Local hero!

mag said...

Oh no! I have been meaning to stop by and see Jacob - since I now live in Bay Ridge, but am in Cobble Hill almost daily. Katie, I was hoping you would have the chance to interview him - yes indeed he was the real deal.I started going to Jacob a year after he started his business in 1988. What a cobbler! I heard all his stories, loved his gruffness - and that little shop. I am truly sad that I did not have the chance to say goodbye to my friend. I will miss him. Mary-Jean

mag said...

Katia, Jacob opened his shop in 1987, which makes it 30 years - not 20.

mag said...

Katia, Jacob opened his shop in 1987, which makes it 30 years of being our cobbler not 20.

Katia said...

Thanks for the actual date, Mag. I will correct the info in the post.